Family Learning have developed two courses – REAL (literacy) and REAM (maths) for families with children aged two to five years olds.
These courses have been created following a research project carried out by Cathy Nutbrown and Peter Hannon (Professors of Early Childhood Education). Their findings demonstrated how young children’s literacy development could be enhanced through work with parents, especially in disadvantaged communities.
We want to help parents to build their knowledge and confidence so that they can help their children with early reading, writing and maths skills development. The findings of the project showed that completion of the courses had a long lasting impact on children’s attainment in literacy and maths, if REAL and REAM activities continued at home after the course.
The courses are play-based (often messy!), where we hope families can come along and have fun together, while developing their knowledge of literacy and maths. We have had really positive feedback from families that have attended the course.
Background information – Warwickshire Family Learning REAL Project (PDF, 261.78 KB).
The courses are held across Warwickshire in a range of settings, including children’s centres, nurseries and schools.
If a family is interested in attending the course they can contact Jan Lennon firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
From January 2018, Family Learning will be providing training courses for practitioners who would like to deliver REAL to families.
This training consists of:
- A six hour training session, which can be delivered over one full day, or two half day sessions
- Plus a follow up time after the training.
The aims of the training are to:
- Learn about an evidence based approach to early literacy work with families
- Find out about projects and practice based on the REAL approach
- Share examples of existing practice
- Understand and develop own practice based on REAL and the ORIM framework
- Enable reflection on working with parents in a range of environments including home visits and to identify the strategies required
- Identify potential resources, opportunities, challenges and sources of support
- Explore requirements for recording, monitoring and evaluation
- Plan for a project, explore next steps and support increased confidence to take work forward.
A small cost will be incurred per delegate to cover materials and lunch.
Camphill Early Years Centre
The Bloxham Centre
The Pound Lane Learning Centre