Access to information

Access to public information

We already publish council open information on our lists and open data website pages. Alternative sources are to:

  • Use the built in navigation or search facility on our website
  • Use our publication scheme guide that links to common information
  • Search our online disclosure log showing information requests and the responses, using a date range and optional keywords
  • Ask at your local library or information point
  • For Warwickshire archive records contact Warwickshire County Record Office
  • Telephone our Customer Service Centre on 01926 410410
  • Make a formal request for information available under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or the Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) as below

How to make a formal request for public information (FOI / EIR)

You have a right to request public information we hold under the Freedom of Information (FOI) and Environmental Information Regulations (EIR). When requesting information you must include the following details:

  • Your full name and contact details.
  • The information or documents you would like to access.
  • The preferred method of communication with us (letter or email).

It would be helpful to include a telephone contact number in case we need to clarify your information needs, and any accessibility requirements.

Online: complete the public information request form

Email: put your request in an email to:

Write: put your request in a letter to

Information Rights team
Information Management,
Warwickshire County Council,
Shire Hall, Warwick, CV34 4RL

Telephone: call 01926 418633 for advice

You will get an acknowledgement to an email within one working day and a letter within five working days of receipt. For requests under FOIA, we should respond within 20 working days. For requests under EIR we should respond within 20 working days, or 40 working days if the request is complex or voluminous.

Access to personal information

You have the right to request a copy of the personal information the councils holds.

  • See our adoption records enquiry if you need access to your adoption records.
  • Our County Records Office may hold past information about family members. See our County Record Office and family records page for the main categories of information held.
  • If your request is for a pupil school record, you will need to apply directly to the school.

All other requests, including access to CCTV images, read the following guidance.

We ask that you provide as much detail as possible to identify your records, such as:

  • Your full name and current address
  • Contact email and phone numbers
  • Any previous names and contact addresses
  • The service you received from the council
  • Date of birth
  • Proof of identity

Proof of identity should be two official documents which show your date of birth, name and current address on it (separately or when combined) such as a current drivers licence, current passport, utility bill, council tax bill etc (we can’t accept birth certificates). Please do not send original documents, good quality copies are adequate if you are uploading using the online form or sending by post – note we will not return these.

If you wish, you can appoint someone you trust to act on your behalf. If you are applying to see someone else’s records you will need to enclose their signed permission or other legal documentation (e.g. Parental rights or Power of Attorney) to confirm their request.

Please describe the information that you are looking for. For example, Adult social care record, Children social care record, CCTV in Council premises, HR record if past/current employee.

If your request is in relation to the viewing of CCTV images, please supply the location, date and approximate time of the recording and a description of what the footage depicts.

Highway footage is only retained for a period of 7 days before being overwritten.  When making a request please include the exact location. Grid Reference Finger can help you find the exact location.

How to make a request for a copy of your personal information (DPA-SAR)

Online: complete the personal information request form

Email: Please do not email requests for access to personal data/records. If you have any questions please contact us using the telephone number on this page.

Write: put your request in a letter to

Information Rights team
Information Management,
Warwickshire County Council,
Shire Hall, Warwick, CV34 4RL

Telephone: call 01926 418633 to request a paper form to be sent to you.

You will get an acknowledgement to an email within one working day and a letter within five working days of receipt. We will respond to requests within one calendar month. This may be extended for a further two months if complex or voluminous.

What happens if I am not satisfied with the service I receive?

Our policy is to be as open as possible and supply the information you have requested, but we may withhold information if we consider the information falls within one of the exemptions/exceptions depending on the legislation. If we refuse to supply all or part of any other information you have asked for, we will write to you giving our reasons for refusal.

If you are dissatisfied with the response, or haven’t received a response to a formal information request, then please follow the steps below. If this doesn’t relate to a formal request please follow the council’s complaint procedure.

  1. First contact the council officer who dealt with your request and see if they can resolve your concerns.
  2. If you are not satisfied with the reasons or the manner in which your request was dealt with you have the right to request that the we carry out a formal internal review of the matter. You should ask for a review within 40 days of receiving our final response.
  3. All requests for an internal review should be made in writing and the matter will be dealt with by a member of the Corporate Legal Services team. This can be by replying to the last email you received, or in writing to the Information Rights team quoting the case reference number (using the contact details above). We will aim to respond within 20 working days and at the most, 40 days if the case is complex, but keep you informed.
  4. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the internal review, you may also appeal to the Information Commissioner if you feel we have not complied with our obligations. Your rights are explained on the Information Commissioner’s website.

You can contact the Information Commissioner to raise a concern how your information has been handled.

> Back to top

Your information rights

This service provides access to public and personal information. Our valid lawful basis for processing personal data is a legal obligation. To see how we use your personal data and what your information rights are, please read our access to information privacy notice. It should be read in addition to our overall customer privacy notice which includes contact details if you have a complaint about your information rights.